Frequently Asked Questions
1. I’m new here. What is Recorders for sale / recordersforsale.com?
Recorder world was lacking a proper place for classified recorder listings — at least regarding accessibility and modern web technology. It’s in this context that I came up with the idea to create this website. My aim is to help sellers from all over the world (which means: recorders listed here do not belong to me in about 95% of the cases) find a new home for recorders they may not need anymore that still deserve to be played, which in turn may benefit a lot of players in search of a new instrument. So far, recordersforsale.com has proved to be a great platform to showcase—at a very reasonable price—any recorders whoever might be willing to sell. Although my main motivation is not an economic one, I’m asking for a small fee to publish your ad since it takes some time to post a new item here, I’m a professional player and teacher, and my time resources are limited. → Keep reading if you have a recorder you want to sell!
2. How much does it cost to publish my ad on recordersforsale.com?
I’m charging just 10 € to post your ad for each recorder you want to sell. As said above, it takes some time to publish a new item here, I have limited resources, and it’s not my full-time job.
3. Does recordersforsale.com charge a commission for sold instruments?
No. I do not charge any sales commission on items that you sell — Other online services charge as much as 30% off out of the total sale price. recordersforsale.com is much cheaper than other instrument listing services!
4. Great. How do I go ahead and publish my advertisement?
Let’s keep it simple:
- First make your payment through the Paypal button below (alternatively, you can also use this link):
Info: then send me all the essential information about your recorder through this contact form (you could copy & paste the example below) plus links to 2-3 photos of the instrument (see details below):
- Model: Bressan
- Pitch: A = 415 Hz
- Wood: boxwood
- Built in: 2012
- Price: 900 € [In order to avoid speculation on recorder prices, I require sellers to specify a price for their instruments.]
- Current state: [brief description of the instrument]
- Photos: send me links to at least 3–4 pictures of your instrument. Photos are essential, and I will not publish any item without them: people will want to see a current photo of your instrument! Experience has shown that the more pictures you send, and the better image quality you get, the sooner your recorder will get sold. Recommended: take your photos against a white background, clearly showing the most sensitive parts of the recorder: window, beak, thumb hole, etc. See an example here. Important: required size is 970 pixels for the smallest side of your image (minimum size would be 970 × ≥970 pixels); otherwise the homepage’s layout will get broken. Please don’t email me your photos. Instead, upload them to Dropbox, Google Drive or a similar service, and include the download links in your message.
- Once I’ve got the information and photos, I’ll post it. Usually, within 2-3 working days, but please be patient if it takes a bit longer: I still have to practice! 😉
- Once the recorder is sold, just let me know, and I will label your ad as sold.
5. How do I pay for my ad?
Paypal: for your peace of mind, I out-source all our billing to Paypal, the most respected payment processor on the web. Only Paypal has access to your credit card information, giving you maximum flexibility, confidence and protection. Through Paypal, you can make payment with your choice of major credit card, bank transfer or Paypal account. You do not need to have a Paypal account!
6. I want to buy a recorder! How do I contact the owner?
Easy. You can contact the seller directly through the contact form you’ll find below each instrument’s details — Which means: messages sent through these contact forms will be addressed directly to each seller. It’s a convenient way to prevent public display of their email addresses, which could be easily spammed while allowing greater privacy for the sellers.
7. Do you have special prices for makers & dealers?
I can offer special prices for makers & dealers, who can benefit from a great exposure on recordersforsale.com:
- From 1 to 10 items: 10 € each
- From 11 to 20 items: 9 € each
- From 21 to 30 items: 8 € each
8. My role & liabilities
Recorder world is tiny, we recorder players often know each other, and you’ll often find familiar names here. However, you have to understand how recordersforsale.com works and be aware of the following things:
- I limit myself to publishing the information I receive from the sellers “as is”
- By publishing their ads, sellers benefit from recordersforsale.com exposure, and can easily be contacted by the vast amount of potential buyers visiting this website
- I’m not responsible for the final transaction in any ways
- I have no ways to verify the veracity of the ad’s details
- I don’t and will never guarantee a transaction, offer purchase protection or hold a deposit from any party
- It’s the buyer’s own responsibility to check by themselves the veracity of the ad’s details (see some recommendations below)
9. Recommendations & Contract:
- Identify the other party and, ideally, talk to them by phone and/or try to find common friends
- Try to contact the seller through as many social media networks as possible (facebook, twitter and one or two different email addresses, if possible — this will help against an ad hoc, recently created fake profile
- Use a contract of sale. I made a sample one that I’m happy to share here. It’s available in four different file formats to better suit your needs: .docx, .txt, PDF & .pages, as well as in a small .zip file containing all of them:
- Sample sale contract (.docx version) (286 downloads)
- Sample sale contract (.txt version) (139 downloads)
- Sample sale contract (.pages version) (158 downloads)
- Sample sale contract (PDF version) (237 downloads)
- All: (.zip file) Sample sale contract and try out conditions by recordersforsale.com (219 downloads)
Good to protect both seller and buyer. Hope you find it useful. If you think it can be improved somehow, or have any suggestions, please let me know.
10. Will you also post here recorders with German fingerings?
No. Plastic recorders not welcomed neither, sorry. Just do the maths: if you’re selling your plastic recorder for, say, 30€, and I’m asking you 10€ to publish it… It’s just not worth it.
11. Who’s behind this?
12. Questions, suggestions?
I’d love to hear how you think I could improve this website, so your feedback is much appreciated. Please let me know.